Saturday, November 13, 2010

White Cupcakes





White Cupcakes


3/4 c. shortening
1 1/2 c. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla

2 c. all-purpose flour
1 tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt

1 c. milk
5 egg whites

In a mixing bowl, beat the shortening on medium speed in an electric mixer about 30 seconds or more. Add the sugar and vanilla and beat until fluffy. Combine flour, baking powder and salt together in separate bowl. Alternating between dry ingredients and milk, add to the sugar/shortening mix, and blend well.

In a electric mixing bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form and you can slice through the egg. Fold into flour mixture. Prepare muffin pans or line with paper baking cups. Fill each cup half full. Bake at 375 degrees for 18 to 20 minutes or until done. Cool on a wire rack. Frost with desired frosting. Makes 30 cupcakes.


Adapted from White Cake Supreme Cupcakes at www.cooks.com


Today is the western semi final in CFL football. The Saskatchewan Roughriders are playing the BC Lions, and you guessed who I am cheering for. The SASKATCHEWAN ROUGHRIDERS!!! Who else to cheer for? Tomorrow we are watching the game with some friends, so I though why not bake something for the occasion, let alone blog about it. So I made some die hard Saskatchewan Roughrider cupcakes to enjoy. 







To make the cupcakes in the team colors, I divided the batter into two bowls - half in each bowl. In one of the bowls, I used some green food coloring and put in drops until I got the deep Saskatchewan Roughrider green. The more coloring - the stronger the color will be. There are also color pastes  that are like gel. You use them the same as drops, yet the pastes give a stronger color while keeping the batter at the desired consistency. 


Once you have the color of the batter to your preference, you can spoon in layers or sections of the batter alternating colors you would like to have in your cupcake. For less mess, take a large jar - I used a 1 quart sized jar - and put a medium to large plastic bag in it. Let the zip top hang over the edge and out of the jar. 


Take your batter and cautiously pour the batter into the bag/jar. Be careful not to over flow or spill because it is a pain to clean up and is messy to use. Zip up the top to stop the batter from leaking.  Cut one very small corner off the bottom of the bag. I cut just enough so that I have control of the bag yet is easy to come out when squeezing. Just like piping, you can pipe the batter in layers or come up with cool designs.  When you pipe a design on the top of the raw cupcake it will show up well on the top when baked.








Thanks for Reading!!!


     

2 comments:

  1. Hi there. I was looking for an image for my Facebook page to help support the Riders, and found your page.

    I hope you don't mind, but I stole a copy of your cupcake picture to post it on my Facebook profile.

    I write a food blog too, called Walsh Cooks at walshcooks.com.

    I would like to post a link to your site if you don't mind.

    If you need to reach me my contact information is on my blog.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I followed the link from Cathy Walsh's blog to yours. Your Rider cupcakes are amazing! What a fabulous snack to serve this Sunday at the Grey Cup here in Edmonton. Go Riders Go!

    ReplyDelete