Sunday, September 5, 2010

Roast Chicken





 Roast Chicken

1 chicken thawed 
(fresh, free run, farm chickens are best)
2 tbsp. olive oil
Sprinkle sage
Sprinkle cumin
Pinch nutmeg
Pinch mild curry powder
Sprinkle onion powder
Sprinkle poultry seasoning

Preheat oven to 425°.

Unwrap chicken from plastic. Rinse the chicken under water – inside and out. Take roasting pot and put 2 tbsp. of olive oil in and spread around equally. Spread seasoning on the chicken. Put in oven at 425° for 15 minutes then turn down oven to 325° and cook until golden brown.    


The fresher the chicken - the better turn out you will have. There is lots more flavor and a different taste in all. Finding the freshest chicken is always the hardest part. You can buy local chickens at a farmers market or food stores. My family sells our garden vegetables and our chickens at the farmers market in Lloydminster.

My family just got our chickens processed at the plant in St. Paul. We don't do it ourselves because it is a lot of work, and it is very disgusting. 


On to the chicken...


Okay - to bake a chicken it not that hard, whether its for Christmas dinner or Sunday night meal. Its just that it can take up alot of time to cook but other wise it's just getting every thing else ready like the potatoes, the vegetables, and the bread dish, whether its buns stuffing or both. My auntie would say "Thats exactly it,  Jensen." I also have no good pictures of the bird itself because dad cut into it before I even had the camera on me. So I took a picture of my brothers plate.


Do not be afraid to cook a big chicken. There's always ways to cook up the left overs some how. I've also read that you can put a whole lemon in the chicken. I like getting a few guide line recipes, then taking it from there. Adding a little bit from each, then my own touch here and there. With this recipe, I took the chicken and rinsed it off in the sink inside and out. Next I just set the bird into the greased roasting pan and sprinkled the seasonings on the chicken, trying to get every where. I  try to set the chicken into the center of the pan but it slipped around and ended up somewhere else in that pan. It doesn't show on the bird where it gets placed so long as it is about in the middle of the oven for the heat. Do not put vegetables in the roasting pan when you cook it. I don't know why, my mother told me to not, mothers are usually right. Keep the lid on the roasting pan so the bird does not dry out. I cooked the chicken until golden brown or until the meat is no longer pink and the drumsticks move easily in their sockets. I always forget to put I on the timer.


So there you have it. You can't wreck meal that badly. If you mess up in preparation, I would say call your mother, or search it on the internet, thats what I do. If you have any questions or anything like that leave them in the comments please.  


P.S.
My next blog will be about how use up your left over chicken!!!








No comments:

Post a Comment